Landlords - Hints and Tips

There are a number of things which landlords need to be aware of when renting properties out these include.


  • EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)

    From 21st May 2010 any property that is marketed for sale or put up for rent in England and Wales will need an EPC.

  • Gas Safety (Installation and Use) 1998

    All gas appliances at a rented property, including portable appliances such as LPG heaters, must be tested prior to the start of any tenancy and then annually by a Gas Safe registered plumber who will provide you with a certificate. We will need to have a copy given to us and to the tenant before we can start any tenancy. 

  • EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report.)

    An Electrical Installation Condition Report must be acquired before the commencement of any new tenancy from 1st July 2020. The checks ensure that all electrical installations inthe property, such as light fixtures and electrical sockets, are safe before the tenant moves in. Properties that pass the EICR will keep the certification for five years. When theEICR expires, a new one will need to be obtained. 

    Landlords must supply a copy to each tenant within 28 days of the inspection. They must also retain a copy so that they can supply one to their local authority if asked, and alsoso they can supply one to the next assessor when the time comes to renew their report. Landlords must also supply a copy of the most recent report to any prospective tenantwithin 28 days of it being requested in writing.  

  • The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and The Plugs and Sockets etc (Safety) Regulations 1994

    It is a legal requirement that the mains wiring and any portable electrical appliances left in a rented property must be safe for the tenants use. These should be tested by a suitably qualified electrician. We recommend that the mains electric wiring is tested every five years, and any portable appliances tested annually.

  • The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988

    Upholstered furniture left in a letting property must comply with these regulations and they apply to all upholstered furniture. The safety provisions require that any upholstered or soft furnishings have a suitable, permanent safety label attached. As these could be removed by a tenant it is also wise to keep a copy of the purchase receipt. Bedding, Carpets, Curtains and Furniture made before 1st January 1950 that are not foam filled (for example horse hair) are also excluded from the regulations.

  • Oil & Solid Fuel Appliances

    Again any oil or solid fuel appliances must be safe for the tenants use and therefore they need to be checked on annual basis by a suitably qualified or experienced engineer, with an appropriate certificate or service record issued.

  • Smoke & Heat Detectors

    It is not yet a legal requirement to have smoke detectors fitted in a rented property although we would strongly recommend that mains wired smoke detectors are fitted on each floor of a rented property by a suitably qualified electrician. We do however insist that at least one battery operated smoke detector is fitted on each floor of a rented property. We will check the smoke detector at the start of each tenancy and we make it a condition of the tenancy that the tenant checks the smoke detectors on a regular basis replace the batteries when necessary and inform us, if they go wrong.

  • Carbon Monoxide Detectors

    It is not a requirement to install either battery or mains wired carbon monoxide protectors but they do offer extra peace of mind for both the landlord and tenant and if installed should be situated close to any gas or oil appliances.

  • HMO (House In Multiple Occupation)

    The 1985 Housing Act definition of "House in Multiple Occupation" was a "house which is occupied by persons who do not form a single household". This is a very complex Act and the definition of a single household is measured on a number of criteria which the local authority will use to determine whether a house is an HMO or not. If you are unsure we would suggest contacting the local authority for clarification.


This document is not meant as an exhaustive guide to the legislation and if you are likely to be affected we strongly recommend you investigate the legislation further and do not rely on this information alone.

Request a Valuation